Table of Contents
What is an Article?
An article is a casual form of writing that is typically published in a newspaper, website, or magazine. Articles can cover a wide variety of topics, from news and current events to opinion pieces, feature stories, and more. They are typically written by journalists, writers, or experts in a particular field and are intended to inform, educate, or entertain the reader.
An introduction to the topic and a setting for the remainder of the article are often included in an article’s structure. The body of the article contains the main information and argument and is supported by evidence and examples. The conclusion sums up the main points and provides a final perspective on the topic.
Articles can be written in a variety of styles, including news articles, which are typically straightforward and objective in tone; feature articles, which are more in-depth and may take a more personal or creative approach; and opinion articles, which express the author’s personal views and opinions. Regardless of the style, good articles are well-researched and well-written.
What is an Essay?
An essay is a formal form of writing that offers a thesis statement and/or point of view on a certain subject. Essays can be written in various formats, such as narrative, descriptive, argumentative, and expository. An essay’s major objective is to deliver facts in a clear and succinct manner or to persuade the reader. The structure of an essay typically includes an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
The introduction provides background information on the topic and sets the stage for the main argument or point of view. The body paragraphs provide evidence and examples to support the argument or point of view presented in the introduction. The conclusion summarizes the main points and leaves the reader with something to think about.
Critical thinking, research, and the capacity to arrange and present material in a clear and succinct way are all necessary for writing essays. A compelling thesis statement that is backed up by examples and facts is crucial. Additionally, proper grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure are essential to a well-written essay. With practice and dedication, anyone can improve their essay writing skills and achieve success in their academic or professional pursuits.
Difference Between Article and Essay
- An article is a casual writing that is written for a newspaper, magazine, or online publication, whereas an essay is a written composition that presents an argument or a point of view on a specific topic.
- Articles are typically shorter and more informative than essays, whereas essays can be longer and more analytical.
- Articles are typically written in a more casual and conversational tone, whereas essays are written in a more formal and academic tone.
- Articles are typically written to inform or entertain a general audience, whereas essays are written to persuade or argue a specific point of view to a specific audience.
- Articles are typically researched and written by journalists, whereas essays are typically written by students or scholars.
Comparison Between Article and Essay
|Parameters of Comparison||Article||Essay|
|Definition||Piece of Writing for Newspapers and Magazines||Written Composition Presenting an Argument or Opinion|
|Purpose||Inform or Entertain||Persuade or Argue|
|Written By||Journalists||Students & Scholars|