Table of Contents
What is an Amlodipine?
Amlodipine is used with other medicines for the treatment of high blood pressure. It helps to lower the blood pressure as a result it prevents heart attacks, kidney problems, and strokes. It fits a class of drugs which is known as calcium channel blockers. Their work is to loosen up the blood vessels so that blood can flow easily. It is used to evade certain types of chest pain.
Using this medicine daily can get the most benefits of it. When angina occurs it shouldn’t be used instead used other medicine such as sublingual nitroglycerin.
If a person is using the liquid form, first of all, check the manufactures information or as the pharmacist for the specific direction. In some brands of liquid shaking, the liquid should be a must. The dose should be measured carefully through a device or spoon. But it is recommended that do not use the household spoon as it doesn’t give an accurate dosage. The dosage should be based response on to treatment or medical condition. The doctor might gradually increase the dose, the person should carefully follow the doctor’s instructions.
Speak to the doctor if the condition gets worse or doesn’t improve (for example- if the blood pleasure remains high, chest pain get worsens or it continues).
What is Nifedipine?
Nifedipine is castoff to avoid certain types of chest pain. It permits the person to exercise more and decrease the frequency of chest attacks. It goes to the class of medication such as calcium channel blocker. It works by comforting the blood vessels so that the blood can flow more effortlessly. If the person wants the benefit of this medication the person he or she must take a regular dosage. It shouldn’t be taken during chest pain when it occurs, instead used other medication (such as nitroglycerin) due to which the patent will get relief
Consult any pharmacist or doctor for details. Aged people should discuss the benefits and risks of this medication with their pharmacist or doctor.
The patient should take this pill by mouth, often 3 times a day without or with food focused by the doctor.
The dosage is based on the situation of the patient. The patient should avoid eating foods like grapefruit juice while taking this medication because grapefruit can upsurge the amount of certain medication in the bloodstream. The person has to develop the habit of taking the medicine regularly to get the benefits from it.
Difference Between Amlodipine and Nifedipine
- Amlodipine is used for the treatment of angina, hypertension, breast cancer, and some neurodegenerative disease whereas Nifedipine is used for the treatment of angina and high blood pressure and it has no use in the treatment of breast cancer and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Amlodipine is a 3rd generation calcium channel blocker on the other hand Nifedipine is a 1st group calcium channel blocker.
- Amlodipine is an oral medication and its formulation depends on the body the weight whereas Nifedipine comes as tablets that we have to take by mouth with water, its formulation depends on the body weight.
- Amlodipine is a bit soluble in water whereas Nifedipine is insoluble in water.
- The risk factor of using Amlodipine is the patient might get severe chest pain which might lead the person to have a heart attack on the other hand the risks of using Nifedipine are nerve problem
Comparison Between Amlodipine and Nifedipine
|Parameters of Comparison
|It is a calcium channel blocker that widens blood vessels and it improves blood flow.
|It is a group of drugs called calcium channel blockers that works by calming the muscle of the heart and blood vessels.
|Amlodipine is used to treat lower blood pressure, to delight angina (chest pain).
|It is used to treat high blood pressure, untimely labor.
|It is an oral medicine and its formulation depends on the body weight.
|It comes as a tablet which we have to take by mouth with water. The formulation of it depends on the body weight.
|Chest pain might get worse in some cases with very blocked arteries which might lead to having a heart attack
|Risk of nerve problems and stomach bleeding
|Side effects are shortness of breath, headache, chest pain, low blood pressure, ankle swelling, and dizziness.
|Side effects are Edema, dizziness, fatigue, constipation, flushing, increased urination, low blood sugar.