Table of Contents
What is AISI?
AISI stands for American Iron and Steel Institute. It is situated in Washington, D.C. AISI was founded by Elbert H. Gary in 1908. Steel industry is one of the oldest and most revolutionary in present times. AISI began when group of steelmakers gathered and realized the importance of globalization of steel. Steel is considered as revolutionary because steel is affordable and strong base material for construction. AISI was formed to promote and acquire market of iron and steel at global level.
AISI makes the classification of steel on the basis of its composition. The three categories are Carbon steel, Low-alloy steel and high-alloy steel. An identification number is used to denote steels of various categories. The identification number is a unique number in which each digit has a special meaning. Quality is denoted by first two digit and carbon content is denoted by last two digit.
Goal of AISI was to expand the steel industry and maximize the profit. Advanced technology is used for production of good quality steel.
What is ASTM?
ASTM stands for American Society for Testing and Materials. Headquarters of ASTM is in Pennsylvania, United States. It was founded by Charles Benjamin Dudley in 1902. Being a national organizing the main function of ASTM is to determine standards for products of various sectors like clothing/textile, materials for construction, rubber products, automobile parts, etc. ASTM sets an average standards for product in terms of quality and safety.
The products have to cross certain types of test to qualify the basic standards. These standards are mainly categorized under 5 heads : Specification standard, Classification standard, Practice standard, Guide standard and Terminology standard. Each standard has its own importance and purpose to test the product differently.
The goal of ASTM is to verify and check products that are being manufactured. Almost all type of products have to pass through series of test to get approved. ASTM assures that quality of product is upto the mark so that problems in future can be prevented. For example: construction materials are cross-checked and made to pass the standard test to assure their quality so that wherever this materials are being used for construction may it be buildings or bridges, longer-life and better quality is assured. Also stronger the building is lesser is the chance of accidents to take place due to construction fault.
Difference Between AISI and ASTM
- AISI stands for American Iron and Steel Institute. While ASTM stands for American Society for Testing and Materials.
- AISI was founded by Elbert H. Gary. While ASTM was founded by Charles Benjamin Dudley.
- Headquarters of AISI is in Washington, D.C. While headquarters of ASTM is in Pennsylvania, United States.
- AISI has a purpose of globalizing and acquiring large market of steel in global market. While ASTM has a purpose of setting quality standards which a product needs to pass.
- AISI produces steel with advanced technology, huge quantities and cheaper price. ASTM produces various products like automobile parts, textile, iron and steel etc.
- Classification in AISI is done on the basis of composition and carbon content. While classification in ASTM is done on the basis of various standard test.
Comparison Between AISI and ASTM
|Parameters of comparison
|American Iron and Steel Institute
|American Society for Testing and Materials
|Pennsylvania, United State
|Elbert H. Gary
|Charles Benjamin Dudley
|Manufacturing steel with new and advanced technology
|Determine standards for product
|Mainly iron and steel
|Huge range of products like textile, iron and steel