Table of Contents
What is Profession?
The word ‘profession’ is derived from the Latin word ‘professio’ which means ‘to declare openly’. A profession is an occupation that requires certain specialized skills and knowledge. It is a calling that requires one to have a certain qualification and to follow a code of ethics.
Professions are of two types – regulated and unregulated. Regulated professions are those which are governed by professional bodies. Unregulated professions are those which are not governed by any professional body.
However, being in a profession also has its own share of challenges. It requires one to put in long hours of work. It is often demanding and stressful. It requires one to maintain a high level of competence and can be quite hectic
There are many advantages of being in a profession. Firstly, it gives one a sense of satisfaction and achievement. Secondly, it is a stable source of income. Thirdly, it offers opportunities for career advancement. Fourthly, it gives one a sense of social status and prestige. Finally, it enables one to serve society in a noble way.
What is Career?
A person’s journey through education, employment, and other facets of life is their career. There are many different ways to define a career and the term can mean different things to different people. For some people, a career is simply a job or profession that they do for a living. For others, a career is a much broader concept that includes all of the different activities that make up a person’s life.
A career can be thought of as a journey with many different paths. Some people’s careers follow a linear path, where they progress from one job to the next in a logical sequence. Others’ careers are more like a winding road, with many different twists and turns. There is no single right or wrong way to have a career.
There are many different factors to consider when choosing a career. Some people choose a career based on their interests and skills. Others choose a career based on their values and what they want to contribute to the world. Still, others choose a career based on practical considerations, such as job security and income. A career is an important part of your life.
Difference Between Profession and Career
- Career is a general term used to describe the progression of a series of related jobs that a person holds over the course of their life. A profession is a more specific term that is used to describe a particular job or set of related jobs that require advanced education or training.
- A career may span multiple industries, while a profession is usually specific to one industry.
- A career may involve multiple job changes, while a profession typically entails staying with one employer.
- Career growth is often based on promotions and salary increases, while professional growth is typically based on acquiring new skills and knowledge.
- A career may be chosen for its earning potential, while a profession is often chosen for its intrinsic rewards.
Comparison Between Profession and Career
|Parameters of Comparison||Profession||Career|
|Mode of establishment||Membership of a professional body and certificate of the practice||Appointment letter and service agreement|
|Nature of work||Rendering of personalized, expert services||Performing work as per the service contract or rules of services|
|Qualification||Expertise and training in a specific field are a must||Qualification and training as per your choice|
|Returns||Professional fees||Salary, wages, or profit|
|Risk||The fee is regular and certain; the minimum risk||Depends on the career you choose|