Table of Contents
What is American Democracy?
Democracy in America is an additional chapter in the history of that adjustment. There is no break in the progress. Roman, Teuton, Celt, American, comes individually in his time. No American colony overdrawn wholly with the past. The requirement for unrestricted labor bound a democracy. Had the vast area now included within the United States been occupied, at the time of its detection by Europeans, by a capital-accumulating people, however civilized, who acceptable European conquest, the vanquishers would not set up a democracy.
The decision-making in American democracy is the president. In America, the decision making i.e., the president, is the head of the government and head of the state. The executive is voted to the office directly and individually but the member of congress are been voted separately. Congress can place a check on the action and the power of the president.
In American democracy, we find people’s contribution at almost every level-the city, the ward, the country, the union, and the state. People actively participate in making their democracy work by writing to representatives, senators, and petitioning for support or against policies.
What is Indian Democracy?
India is the largest democracy in the domain which can boast impressive heights such as having 67% voters who turnout at the last election. India has a powerful independent electoral commission. To acquire 1.3 billion people’s votes, many people who lived in remote areas of India is a tough effort. During the recent election they used:
- Availability of 2.3 million Electronic voting machine
- 1 million polling stations across the country.
- 11 million elections officials with security forces.
Regarding voting India held 7 stages of voting and the voting takes place 37 days. During 6 days each regions votes.
India is a democratic republic and become independent from Britain. It consists of Rajya Sabha (council of states) and Lok Sabha (house of the people or lower house). It has two head political parties which are the Indian national congress (the liberal party or the left-wing) and Bharatiya Janata Party (conservative party or right-wing). It has a president but has little power. He does not rule but reigns. The prime minister is the head with the majority of power.
Difference Between American and Indian Democracy
- American Democracy allows only two parties to nominate, on the other hand, Indian Democracy allows multiple parties for the nomination.
- In the USA there is a total of 435 voting members in the house of Representatives and a total of 100 voting members of the Senate, whereas in India there is a total of 545 members of Lok Sabha who can vote and 250 voting members of Rajya Sabha.
- In the USA the Executive is the President, whereas, in India, the Executive is the Prime Minister.
- The President of the United States of America can serve as President for 4 years and it has a two-term limit which means they can serve as President two times only, whereas the Prime Minister of India can serve as Prime Minister for 5 years and there is no term-limit for it. That means they can serve as long as they keep winning the election.
- In the USA the general public or the citizens gets to vote for choosing their President, on the other hand, In India, the representatives of the Lok Sabha vote for the president, and whichever party gets the highest vote wins the election get elected as Prime Minister.
Comparison Between American and Indian Democracy
|Parameters of Comparison||American||Indian|
|Party system||American Democracy allows only two parties for the nomination.||Indian Democracy allows many parties for the nomination.|
|Term limits||The President of the United States of America can serve for 4 years and it has a two-term limit which means they can be President for two times and not more than that.||The Prime Minister of India serves for 5 years and there is no term limit which means they can serve as long as they keep winning in the election.|
|Number of Representatives||There are 435 voting members in the house of Representatives and 100 voting members of the Senate.||In India, there are a total of 545 members of the Lok Sabha and 250 members of Rajya Sabha.|
|How is the Executive elected||In America, the citizens get to vote for their president which means they hold the direct power of choosing their Preside||In India, the representatives of Lok Sabha vote for the President, and whichever party wins with major votes the Lok Sabha will announce them as the Prime Minister of India.|
|Executive||In the USA the Executive is the President and the executive order does not require to be voted by Congress.||In India, the Executive is the Prime Minister and it has to be elected by the Parliament.|