Table of Contents
What is Always?
Always is an adverb used to denote something that will last at all finite times. It has different meanings depending on its context. When it means ‘at all times’ or ‘on all occasions, an example of a sentence would be;
She always wakes up early.
It means that the speaker believes she wakes up early no matter what and will continue to do so. She repeats the action of waking up early every day, without making exceptions. When the word always refers to the future, something that will happen in future times, an example of it would be;
I’ll always take care of you.
It means the speaker promises the other person that they will take care of them until they are alive. Despite any obstacle, and in every situation, they will take care of this person. Another meaning of always is using it as a last resort. An example of this would be;
You could always become a coach if you don’t make it to the team.
This means if the person fails to succeed in making it to the team, they still have the last option of becoming a coach.
What is Forever?
Forever can be used as an adverb or an adjective. As an adverb, its job is to describe the action. It denotes that something is endless, never-ending, and will stand the test of time. An excellent example of this in a sentence would be;
Your memory will live on forever in our hearts.
This sentence denotes that the memory of that person will live forever, after his death, even after all those who knew him to die, he will still live on. His memory will live for eternity, by all means. When the word forever refers to something at all times, an example of this would be;
We will be enemies forever.
In this context, the meaning is most similar to the word always. It means they will be enemies no matter what, despite any situation, and maybe even after death. As an adjective, forever refers to something that is permanent. An example of this would be;
This is a kind of forever love.
In this context, forever describes their love, saying that it will last forever. Love is a noun here and forever is the adjective.
Difference Between Always and Forever
- Always refers to a finite period, whereas forever refers to an infinite period.
- Always can be used only as an adverb. Forever, on the other hand, can be used as an adverb and an adjective,
- Always is used to refer to time till the person’s death. Forever denotes time after that, immeasurable time that is not foreseeable.
- The word always refers to something that is repeatedly done, but forever refers to something that is everlasting.
- The word always can be used to refer to something as a last resort, but forever cannot be used like that. Forever is a binding word.
- Always can refer to a short period of time, or a long period of time. Forever can only refer to a very long period of time.
Comparison Between Always and Forever
|Parameters of Comparison
|It refers to a finite period of time.
|It refers to something infinite, never ending with no time constraint.
|Part of Speech
|It is used as an adverb.
|It can be used as an adjective or adverb.
|Always will refer to a shorter time than forever.
|Forever refers to the longest time period.
|Always could mean as a last resort/ at any rate.
|Forever will not mean at any rate/ as a last resort.
|‘I will always love you’ means I will love you till the moment I die.
|‘I will love you forever’ refers to undying love that will not end even after I die.