Table of Contents
What is Allegra?
Allegra, which is known as fexofenadine, is an antihistamine medication. It competitively alienates histamine at the H1 receptors. Allegra is used to relieving nasal and non-nasal symptoms associated with seasonal allergic rhinitis and to treat uncomplicated skin manifestations of chronic idiopathic urticaria.
Allegra can be found in many forms, such as oral liquid, dissolving tablet, pills, or tablet form. The usual dose for adults and children over 12 years old is 180mg once daily or 60mg twice daily for allergic rhinitis. The usual dose for chronic idiopathic urticaria is 60mg twice daily.
Do not take Allegra with Antacids containing Magnesium or Aluminium simultaneously or with grapefruit juice. It’s best to take Allegra with a full glass of water. If you miss a dose, take the missed one as soon as you remember, and if it is too close to the next one, skip it and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at the same time or an extra amount.
Some side effects of Allegra are headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, diarrhea, difficulty with moving, menstrual cramps, vomiting, upset stomach, and back or muscle pain. There may be risk factors for taking this medicine if you are a pregnant woman, with anxiety, or someone with kidney problems, so please consult with your doctor.
What is Allegra-D?
Allegra-D is an antihistamine and decongestant combination, and it’s used to treat allergies that involve congestion. How it works is it blocks histamine receptors that cause this runny nose allergy symptoms also, with the decongestant, it opens up your sinuses and blood vessels. The generic name of Allegra-D is Fexofenadine+ pseudoephedrine. It is found in pill and tablet form.
You take the Allegra-D twice a day. If you happen to forget and miss your dose, and if it is closer to the subsequent amount, go ahead and skip it; if not, go ahead and take it. But you should not take two doses at the same time. Allegra-d should be taken on an empty stomach with a full glass of water. Store the Allegra-D in a cool, dry place. The clothes closet is an excellent place to keep medication.
Some side effects of using Allegra-D are headache, insomnia with the Sudafed portion of the decongestant, constipation, dry mouth, and loss of appetite. Risk factors of using it are heart problems, high blood pressure, kidney problems, and shortness of breath.
Difference Between Allegra and Allegra-D
- Allegra relieves the allergy symptoms like skin itching and chronic hive without making you sleepy, whereas Allegra-D is an allergy medicine used for runny nose and nasal congestion.
- Allegra can be found in many different forms, such as oral liquid, dissolving tablet, pills, or tablet form; on the other hand, Allegra-D can be found only in capsules and tablets.
- The generic name of Allegra is Fexofenadine, whereas the generic name of Allegra-D is Fexofenadine+Pseudoepherdrine.
- The risk factors of using Allegra are when it’s used in excess; it causes brain damage because of the extra amount of phenylalanine. In contrast, Allegra-D risks are heart problems, shortness of breath, driving impatience, and seizures.
- The pricing of Allegra is cheap and readily available in medical stores; on the other hand, Allegra-D is pricier than the medicine Allegra.
Comparison Between Allegra and Allegra-D
|Parameters of Comparison||Allegra||Allegra-D|
|Generic Name||The generic name of Allegra is Fexofenadine.||The generic name of Allegra-D is Fexofenadine+ Pseudoephedrine.|
|Different Forms||It can be found in Oral liquid form, Dissolving tablets, Tablets, or pills.||It is generally found in pill or tablet form.|
|Side Effects||Side effects are headache, dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, fever, difficulty moving, and coughing.||Side effects are constipation, dry mouth, skin rash or itching, restless or excited, insomnia, and loss of appetite.|
|Risk Factors||Not suitable for pregnant women, causing depression, and anxiety, People with kidney problems should avoid it.||Heart problems, high blood pressure, kidney problems, shortness of breath.|
|Usage||It is used to treat the symptoms of seasonal allergies, skin itching, and hives.||It treats itchy or watery eyes, skin rash, itching, and stuffy or runny nose.|